I just couldn’t pass up the container of cubed organic butternut squash at Costco. I actually bought two packages and quickly regretted not buying more. I went back two days later and the whole pallet of squash was gone! Lesson learned.
This was an easy side dish to make on the stovetop while I prepared the rest of our meal. Alternately, you could bake the squash at 425° F until very tender and then mash it in a bowl.
Truth be told, although this seems like a whole lot of squash, it condensed down to one small bowl and Dave and I ate it all by ourselves in one sitting—oops!
Prep time is for cutting a whole squash in case you can't find one pre-cut.
- butternut squash - 2 pounds, cubed
- coconut oil - 2 Tbsp
- sea salt - to taste
- freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- Melt coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add squash; season with salt and pepper.
- Cook squash until it caramelized and becomes mashable, about 30-45 minutes.
- Mash with a fork and serve with a little pastured butter, if desired (but it really doesn't need it).