Here’s a recipe inspired by my friend Darren from the 6:00 a.m. Crossfit Freedom class. He challenged me to tweak a delicious paleo crunch recipe from jayneschultephoto.com. I have been making non-paleo granola for many years as holiday and teacher gifts. My kids call it my “famous” granola…and I don’t give that recipe out without a fight (just ask my neighbors). But now that I don’t eat that granola anymore, it was time to find a version that works for our family. Well, here it is! This is especially great for those of you who are ALMOST paleo but still haven’t given up your oatmeal or cereal at breakfast. Try it alone or with a little coconut milk at breakfast or as a snack.
I will be experimenting with this recipe a little more in the coming weeks. I was able to get all of the nuts at the bulk section of our local supermarket, but I will soon be adding a tab to this site with my favorite online resources for nuts and other baking products. Be sure to use only raw honey as it has a much lower glycemic index and higher health benefits than pasteurized honey (30 vs. 75 according to www.organiclifestylemagazine.com).
I like to bake my granola “low and slow,” as they say. It ensures a crunchy texture and reduces the chance of burning. Don’t worry if the mixture is not crunchy when you remove it from the oven; it gets that way as it cools. It won’t stay around your house for long, but you can store it in an airtight container at room temperature for at least four days (we are on day four and it hasn’t lost any crunchiness), probably much longer.
Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think!
- ground flax seeds (flax meal) - 1/2 cup
- raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas) - 1 cup
- raw sunflower seeds - 1 cup
- almond meal - 1 1/2 cups
- shredded unsweetened coconut - 3 cups
- raw slivered almonds - 4 cups
- ground cinnamon - 1 tsp
- sea salt - 1 tsp
- baking soda - 1/2 tsp
- coconut oil - 1 cup, warmed to a liquid state
- raw honey - 1/2 cup
- pure vanilla extract - 3 tsp
- unsweetened or fruit-sweetened dried fruit - 1/2 cup
- Preheat oven to 250º F.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well to ensure ingredients are evenly distributed.
- In a medium bowl, add wet ingredients and whisk together until well combined.
- Mix the wet ingredients thoroughly into the dry ingredients.
- Divide the mixture in a thin layer onto two rimmed baking sheets. It will fill about 1 and 1/2 jelly roll pans.
- Press mixture down with your hands or the back of a large spoon.
- Bake until lightly toasted, approximately 1 hour. Remove pans from oven and gently stir the mixture with a large spoon. Carefully return warm pans to the oven and continue to cook for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir in optional ingredients, if desired. Let the mixture cool completely in the pans.
- To store, place a folded paper towel (to absorb any excess coconut oil) in the bottom of a lidded storage container. Add paleo crunch to container and cover. Enjoy plain or with coconut or almond milk.