I picked up an organic roasting chicken at Costco today and decided to roast it simply with salt and paprika. Since I’m not a skin eater, I didn’t worry about adding a lot of herbs. Feel free to add whatever seasonings you prefer. I roasted my chicken using the same method I use for my Thanksgiving turkey. Rinse, dry, season, and roast. This method ensures that the meat stays moist and the skin is crispy. I’ve served this with roasted carrots or butternut squash with hazelnut browned butter. The combo makes an awesome and easy meal. Enjoy!
- roasting chicken - one 2-3 pounder
- sea salt - to taste
- freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- paprika - to taste
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Rinse and thoroughly dry inside and outside of chicken with paper towels. Truss the legs with kitchen twine or silicone trussing bands.
- Season the inside and outside liberally with salt and the outside liberally with paprika. If you see moisture developing, just pat it off with paper towels.
- Pour a little water to just cover the bottom of a roasting pan. This will help reduce smoke in your oven. Set a roasting rack inside the pan.
- Place chicken on a rack set inside a roasting pan. (Water should NOT touch the chicken.)
- Roast for 50-60 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted in the meatiest part of the bird registers 165ºF.
- Carefully transfer chicken to cutting board and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Slice and plate or serve family style on a platter.