It’s cool enough out to cook tonight and beautiful enough not to want to. Problem solved with this low-effort meal. Everything cooks concurrently so even though you use a couple of pans, everything is done at the same time. I used oregano and chives from my garden, but feel free to substitute with what you have on hand. A sprinkling of dried herbs would work, too. I used pre-diced butternut squash from the produce section to move things along even more quickly.
- butternut squash - 4 cups, diced
- broccoli - 2 cups, cut into one-inch lengths
- coconut oil - 1 Tbsp
- ground or crushed whole fennel seed - 2 tsp
- sea salt - to taste
- freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- fresh oregano - 4 stalks
- fresh chives (optional) - 1 small bunch, chopped
- bulk Italian sausage - 1 pound
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Warm coconut oil in a large, rimmed baking sheet in the oven until melted.
- Carefully remove the pan and add squash, broccoli, and seasonings. Toss gently to coat.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until squash and broccoli are tender.
- While veggies cook, saute sausage in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook for about 15 minutes or until cooked through. Drain fat, if necessary.
- Remove cooked veggies from oven, discard oregano, and add to sausage. Saute for 1-2 minutes more, stirring gently to combine.
- Serve in shallow bowls garnished with chives, if desired.