When I first discovered coconut butter, I knew it would make an excellent frosting ingredient. It’s sweet all on its own and can be warmed and whipped into shape quite easily. This recipe uses only a few ingredients and comes together quickly. I the addition of a little palm shortening lightens up the texture of the frosting and makes it a bit more spreadable. The palm shortening also seems to make the frosting more stable at room temperature.
Try sprinkling toasted, chopped walnuts over a frosted coconut chocolate cake—you’ll think you’re eating a traditional German chocolate cake…my favorite! A simple and pretty way to dress up a cake is to sprinkle a little cocoa powder over the frosting.
Adapted from http://gnowfglins.com
- coconut butter or coconut manna - one 15-16 ounce jar, warmed to a blendable texture
- raw honey - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- unsweetened full-fat coconut milk - 1 cup
- palm shortening - 1/2 cup
- pure vanilla extract - 2 tsp
- Place coconut butter, honey, and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl.
- Use an electric hand mixer to combine until smooth.
- Add coconut milk, a little at a time, until frosting reaches your desired thickness.
- Add palm shortening and mix until fluffy.