Dave and I went to a French restaurant last weekend that had some very tasty food. When I saw Warm Cabbage Salad on the menu, my first thought was that is sounded more German than French. Then I thought that is sounded like an excellent paleo option. Well, both of my thoughts were valid. It was definitely a German-tasting dish, it was quite paleo, and it was delicious! Here’s my version. I used the finest shredding attachment on my food processor so that it would cook more quickly. I also baked my bacon in advance and shredded the cabbage the night before so that when I was time to cook, it was ready quickly. I used chives for this, but you could use green onions instead. We had this with some awesome grilled bratwurst from Wallace Farms, but you could substitute any sausage. Enjoy!
- green cabbage - 1 head shredded
- bacon - 1/4 pound (4 slices) minced
- chives - 1/3 cup minced
- apple cider vinegar - 1/4 cup
- dijon mustard - 3 Tbsp
- chicken stock - 1/4 cup
- bacon fat - 1 Tbsp
- bratwurst sausages - 4
- Cook bratwurst using your favorite method.
- While bratwurst cooks, melt bacon fat in a large skillet.
- Add cabbage and dressing and saute until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in bacon and chives.