This salad has been in our family for years. I’m not sure where it originated, but whenever I bring it somewhere, I receive a lot of requests for the recipe. The original calls for 4 Tbsp of sugar. In my paleo version, I replace the sugar with coconut crystals, which is crystallize coconut sap. It is available at some health food stores. The substitution worked perfectly, but the coconut crystals are a little too good to be true, so I plan to use them only in moderation. Below is a doubled recipe. If you halve it, reduce the tarragon vinegar to 2 Tbsp.
Make-ahead tip: Chop parsley and toast almonds the day before. Make dressing the morning of your gathering and dress just prior to serving.
- organic, pre-washed, mixed salad greens - 1 large container
- parsley - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- green onions - 8, green and white parts thinly sliced
- Mandarin oranges in juice - 2 cans, drained and rinsed
- slivered almonds - 1/2 cup, toasted
- extra virgin olive oil - 1/2 cup
- tarragon vinegar - 3 Tbsp
- coconut crystals - 2 Tbsp
- hot sauce (Frank's Original) - 1/4 tsp
- sea salt - to taste
- freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- Mix salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Mix dressing ingredients together in a small mason jar or salad dressing shaker. Shake vigorously to combine.
- Just before serving, pour dressing over salad and toss gently to coat.