I have had no luck finding a “clean” ketchup, so when making crab burgers with red pepper sauce, I decided to make my own. This recipe uses no sweetener and has an awesome flavor. It’s so easy to make and you’ll have plenty of leftovers to store for future use.
Adapted from livestrong.com.
- tomato sauce (no salt added) - 1-15 ounce can
- tomato paste - 1-6 ounce can
- raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar (I use Bragg.) - 1 Tbsp
- garlic powder - 3/4 tsp
- onion powder - 1/4 tsp
- allspice - 1/4 tsp
- ground cloves - 1/8 tsp
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and stir with a whisk.
- Simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Let cool and transfer to a container with a tight-fitting lid. Store in refrigerator.