I love the flavor of chipotle peppers so when I came across this recipe, I had to give it a try. It is really easy to make and uses simple ingredients. I was a little overzealous in my use of chipotles so my nose was running as I finished my dinner. I’ve cut this recipe back a bit so that you don’t suffer the same fate. but if you like nose-runningly spicy foods, up the number of peppers to three and see what you think!
Adapted from bevcooks.com.
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts - about 1 1/2 pounds
- coconut oil - 1 Tbsp
- chipotle chili pepper in adobo - 1-2 peppers
- adobo sauce (from can) - 3 tsp
- fresh cilantro - 1/2 cup, chopped
- freshly squeezed lime juice - from 1 lime
- red bell pepper - 1/2, diced
- green onions - 3, thinly sliced
- Bibb or butter lettuce - 1 head
- sea salt - to taste
- freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- Dice red pepper and slice the green onions. Separate, wash, and dry lettuce leaves. Set aside.
- Warm coconut oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Place in heated pan and cook for about 5 minutes on each side or until a nice crust forms and they are cooked through. Remove from pan and let cool for 5 minutes, then dice chicken.
- While chicken cooks, place cilantro, lime juice, chipotle peppers, and adobo sauce in the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth.
- Transfer diced chicken, red pepper, and sauce to skillet. Toss together and warm over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve chicken mixture in lettuce wraps.