This is a perfect meal for one, or two, or three…what I mean is it’s easy to scale. I am cooking for one tonight and this is one of my favorite ways to prepare a quick salmon dinner. The quantities below are for four servings. For one, I halved the dressing recipe (and had leftovers) and used one salmon fillet. A little sweet onion added to the salad is the perfect finishing touch. Enjoy!
- salmon filets - 4 6-ounce filets, skin removed
- fresh arugula - 1 large bunch or small container of baby arugula
- sweet onion (such as Vidalia) - a few very thin slices, quartered
- good quality balsamic vinegar - 2 Tbsp plus 2 tsp
- extra virgin olive oil - 2 Tbsp plus 2 tsp (plus more for steamer rack)
- freshly squeezed lemon juice - 4 tsp
- fresh garlic - 4 small cloves, minced
- lemon zest - 2 tsp
- sea salt - to taste
- freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Place about one inch of water in a large, deep skillet. Bring water to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and place bamboo steamer inside pan.
- Oil top rack and place salmon fillets on top in a single layer. Use both racks of the steamer, if needed, making sure to oil each rack. Place lid on steamer.
- Steam salmon for approximately 5 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
- While fish is steaming, arrange arugula on each plate. Top with onion, reserving some for garnish. Drizzle a little dressing and toss to combine.
- To serve, place salmon on top of arugula, top with remaining onion, and drizzle with a little more dressing.
Adapted from myrecipes.com.