Plan ahead by placing a can of coconut milk in the refrigerator a day in advance. When you are ready to make the raita, whisk the milk solids and liquid together to form a thick milk. You could also use a blender or food processor to combine it.
The flavor of this sauce is a great complement to lamb. I have used it with both Lamb Kofta Kebobs and Moroccan-Style Lamb Meatballs. It would also be great as a dipping sauce for some spicy chicken kabobs. It’s cool, mild flavor would perfectly temper the spicy heat. Enjoy!
- seedless cucumber - 1, peeled and finely grated (I use food processor)
- fresh cilantro - 1 Tbsp, minced
- fresh garlic - 1/2 tsp, minced (about 1 clove)
- full-fat coconut milk, chilled to thicken - 1 cup
- freshly squeezed lime juice - 1 tsp
- ground cumin - 1/4 tsp
- sea salt - 1/2 tsp
- freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- Pulse cucumber, cilantro, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor until finely chopped.
- Add remaining ingredients and pulse until well combined.
NOTE: Ingredients can also be chopped by hand and combined in a bowl.