This is an updated version of my original cabbage roll recipe post. The key differences are that these are cooked in a crock pot and that I steam the cabbage leaves before stuffing so that they are easier to roll. It’s a simple trick that makes this recipe so much better! This recipe is awesome, it makes a lot, and is versatile. Feel free to use any ground meat you have on hand. I’ve used lamb, beef, and half beef/half turkey. They’ve all turned out great!
If you are sensitive to eggs like I am, flax eggs work great in this recipe. Simply combine 1 Tbsp flax meal with 3 Tbsp water. Let it sit for a few minutes or until it becomes the consistency of an egg white. It binds the meat exactly as an egg would.
- fat of choice: grassfed butter, ghee, coconut oil, lard, etc. - 1 Tbsp
- ground meat (e.g., beef, pork, lamb, bison) - 2 pounds
- green cabbage - 1 head
- cauliflower - 1/2 head, roughly chopped
- yellow onion - 1/2 medium, roughly chopped
- garlic - 3-5 cloves
- pastured eggs - 1
- almond flour - 1/2 cup
- dried basil - 1 tsp
- ground cumin - 1 tsp
- dried oregano - 1 tsp
- garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- all natural jarred tomato sauce - 26 ounce jar (We use Gabriel’s marinara http://twitter.com/GabrielsBrand)
- Pulse cauliflower in food processor until it is a rice-like consistency. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Pulse onion and garlic in food processor until finely chopped. Blot or drain slightly, if needed.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, basil, cumin, and oregano. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until onions start to soften. Remove from heat.
- Add meat, almond flour, egg, and garlic powder to the cauliflower. Combine thoroughly with your hands or a large spoon. Add in onion mixture and mix well.
- Cut around the core of the cabbage with a sharp knife. Separate and rinse about 12 large outer cabbage leaves. Place them in a large microwave-safe bowl and cover. Microwave on high heat for 2 minutes, working in batches, if needed.
- Line large crock pot insert with two large cabbage leaves (use the ripped ones). This will insulate the cabbage rolls when cooking and prevent them from burning.
- Place one cabbage leaf on a flat surface.
- Scoop 1/2 -3/4 cup of the meat filling onto the stem end of the cabbage leaf. Starting at the stem end, begin to roll while tucking in both sides (like a burrito).
- Repeat with remaining cabbage leaves to form 10-12 large rolls. Place rolls in the crock pot, seam-side down. Layer the rolls, if needed.
- Pour tomato sauce evenly over top of cabbage rolls.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. To serve, place 2-3 cabbage rolls on each plate. Spoon sauce and drippings on top and around the rolls. Enjoy!
Adapted from www.cavemanstrong.com.